Monday, January 10, 2011

Monday Musings

This past weekend we attended a "after-Christmas" annual Christmas get together with my husband's extended family.  One of the first times I attended this event I remember a cousin being very excited about the tuna salad one of the uncles had made.  Ever since then I have tried to like the tuna salad because in my mind it is a special family recipe to be savored.


The problem is that I do not like sweet pickles and this tuna salad has them.  Nonetheless, I keep trying it in hopes I will like it. Again this weekend I tried the tuna salad and did not enjoy it.  Pondering my actions reminded me of an article I read about picky eaters.  The point that stuck with me from the article was that a child will notice if the adult feeding him or her does not like the food being served and will in turn dislike the food.


If I am so easily influenced about a food that I know I don't like but keep trying it anyway, then it makes sense to me that an impressionable child would be even easier to influence.  My baby is only 3 months old so I have no experience with picky eaters but I am preparing for it.  I feel that to encourage my child to eat the way I want them to eat I am going to have to take responsibility for my food preferences.  Learning to like healthy foods does not always come easily to me and there are a lot of great foods out there I have not learned to enjoy.


A few baby friendly foods I need to learn to love are squash, avocados and cucumbers. What are yours?  I'm going to try to find ways to enjoy these foods so that when my baby is ready for them I can enjoy them right along with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment